Tuesday 17 February 2009

Jack Astor's Bar & Grill

Where: Jack Astors Bar & Grill, 184 Chain Lake Drive, Halifax.
When: Tuesday, September 9, 2008.
What: Two piece fish and chips, $12.77 + tax.

I normally would not go to a place like Jack Astor's for fish and chips, but my friend invited me out to a movie one Tuesday night, and I needed to eat supper (we saw the Dark Knight on Imax).

I actually enjoy Jack Astor's, for the food anyway. It's not bad for a big box restaurant. Plus the staff is usually friendly, and you get to draw on the table.

What's not to like?



I apologize for the cellphone picture, but it wasn't a planned visit and so I didn't have my camera with me. You get an idea of the portion size anyway. The fries were ok, a bit too salty. I found pieces of fish small and overcooked. The batter was doughy and they fish lacking in flavour.

I wouldn't get the fish and chips there again, though I do like some other items on the menu.

I give Jack Astor's 2 little fishies out of 5.

3 comments:

Tina said...

thats funny, i love jack astors fish and chips. i think you just had bad luck with your meal. the fish has always been huge when ive went, and always perfectly cooked!

The Coolest Cool said...

I know they're two completely different restaurants but Moxies and Jack Astors to me are pretty similar. I went to Moxies this summer and they had come up with this "Fish Taco" dish that was absolutely to die for. It was one of the tastiest things I had ever eaten - I haven't tried their straight up fish and chips yet but if I do I'll let you know if its worth a try.

Unknown said...

Sounds tasty actually. Jack Astors had shrimp tacos that were really good, but took them off the menu. Sadness.